Eligibility to work in the UK

What proof an employer will need

If you’re from an EEA country, you’ll need to show a prospective employer your passport, national identity card or Home Office Residence Permit. Employers can face unlimited fines if they employ illegal workers, so they need to make sure that no one they employ is working in the UK illegally. However, to protect themselves against discrimination laws they should treat all job applicants equally. So don’t be offended if you’re asked to prove your nationality, even if it’s ‘obvious’. Even UK nationals will be asked to provide proof of their nationality.

Who Can Work in the UK?

If you want to come to the UK to work, whether you can do so depends on who you are. Unless you’re a British citizen or a citizen of one of the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you may need a visa before you travel here. If you have to get a visa, you’ll need to be cleared by officials at a British Overseas Mission in your country of origin. Once cleared, the entry clearance certificate, or visa, will be put into your passport or travel document.UK nationals will be asked to provide proof of their nationality

Accession state workers

If you’re from one of the new European Union member, or ‘accession’, states you may need to register with the Home Office under the Worker Registration Scheme within one month of starting a job. The countries affected are:

  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Cyprus
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Netherlands
  • Poland
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • The Czech Republic
  • UK

What you need to be able to work in the UK

Penny Warren Recruitment can only register overseas jobseekers that already have work permits and are currently resident in the UK. We regret that we are unable to assist with obtaining work permits and cannot provide any guarantee of work or register job seekers prior to their arrival in the UK.  We would advise that you contact the British embassy in your country for further advice about obtaining work permits.